Pinterest Inspired Mirror Update Project Run Amok! So the wife shows me a post and says "we should do this to our mirror..." Here were the inspirations:
Simple right? Ha, never would I be so lucky!
The first problem was we only had one light fixture over the mirror smack dab in the middle. Unlike these examples with two!
LIGHTS UP
So my first project was installing new lighting. I used the same power source and with the help of drop in "old work" electrical boxes mounted new lights. After the project was done, I realized the placement was wrong. I centered the lights over the sinks but I should have centered them between the new center cabinet and wall on each side. Live and learn--better planning or as the old adage states, "measure twice cut once." Instead of removing the old center electrical supply I converted it into an outlet to power new led's in the new cabinet.
Looks okay but should have thought through
placement a little better. NOTE: outlet installed where the old fixture hung.
RAW CABINET TEST FIT
Simple Cabinet: basic face frame construction. I built a plywood box out of 3/4 inch birch plywood and installed 1x2 cheapo finger jointed, pre-primed trim boards. I left the back open so the mirror is visible there. The back edges of the cabinet were painted because you can see them reflected in the mirror. Led puck lighting was installed over each shelf and semi-gloss paint applied. The molding around the top was from an old scrap--crown molding would look better.

Finished Cabinet
Wife's Touches
PRETTY
Finished Project? NOPE
Mirror project lead to re-painting the lower cherry stained cabinets. Painting took forever because we removed the doors, sanded, stain blocking primed, and sprayed high end semi gloss cabinet paint. Then I stripped the gold from the handles, polished them, and applied clear coat.
Please excuse the hanging laundry--this is a real world DIY reno.
Finished Project? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!
So then the floors looked old and tired, the garden tub tile surround looked like crap, and the toilet may or may not have been leaking. So...
NEW FLOORING
We found some beautiful discontinued floor tile but unfortunately there was not enough to complete the floor. My wife got creative and said "let's do some stone kind of like stepping out onto a mat." So we took it one step further and added the stone to the tub surround deck.











Comments
Post a Comment