THE PROJECT THAT STARTED IT ALL!
by: Bill Funderburk
All my life I have been pretty good at fixing things. Generally, my focus has been on the mechanical but I had built a few crude things out of wood over the years. Then my wife decided to open a vape shop after experiencing the benefits of electronic cigarettes first hand. After purchasing show cases, computers, and lab equipment her budget was strained. So I stepped up and said "I'll build you a tasting bar."
The first step was of course Googling and searching Pinterest. Then equipped with my circular saw, drill, and hand tools I set out on a wonderful journey. As I started, it was quickly evident I needed something better to make more precise cuts so I picked up a used miter saw and stand.
The hardest part was figuring out the angles to make a 45 degree "L" shaped bar. Now I know that it is simply 22.5 degrees. My technique was to lay the bar foot print out on the garage floor using a sharpie and painters' tape. Utilizing some scrap laying around, I experimented with the angle cuts.
Once the angles were doable, I set out framing the bar. All you real carpenters please don't laugh. I wanted it strong and yes it is overdone. If we ever sell the vape shop someone could use it as a drinking bar. Trust me, every bartender at Coyote Ugly could dance on the bar at the same time.
Once at the shop, the finishing touches were added. Yes, I used left over engineered wood flooring for the bar top trimmed with solid oak around the edges. After the top was complete, my wife, son-in-law Jeff Johnson and I poured a glaze coat epoxy sealant to the top.
In this picture, you can see the bottom framing appears out of line. The bar was transported in three pieces and bolted together in the shop. It had not been pulled together when the picture was snapped.
My daughter helped with the tiling around the bar. We used aluminum edging to give the bar a finished look. The tile was a back splash tile on sale at the big blue home store. The tile came out pretty good and is holding up very well.
![]() |
OPEN FOR BUSINESS |









Comments
Post a Comment